Friday, August 7, 2009

It takes a village...

OK, I'll admit I've never been a fan of this phrase as it's commonly used, but with writing I think it thoroughly applies. I was talking with my mom this morning, just our normal morning chat, and she commented on something I told her yesterday. I said something to the effect of getting "steamed" when she's suggested changes to my book as my unofficial editor. I felt it essential to clarify what I meant.

With every draft of my book, which has been at least 4 maybe 5 with a million edits in between, I hit a "I can't handle any more edits for today" wall. A girl has her daily limit to the amount of marks and scratches to her manuscript she can handle. But it was important to understand the coal creating my "steam" was not found with the editor herself, love you Mom! Instead, it's found with the drafting marks that accompany each draft.

BUT, as in every process of becoming a writer, I have learned both the joy and necessary pain in editing- steam can be both uncomfortable and cleansing. It forces me to improve my writing and allows me to better understand what my readers will see. Even though the source and heart of my book remains mine, it still has to face it's own refining fire before it can be shared and enjoyed (hopefully) by others.

So thanks to all individuals future, past and present who will strengthen my story that much more. Your edits are essential. To publish a book, it really does take a village.

No comments:

Post a Comment