Friday, July 17, 2009

Inspiration

So the 6th movie installment of the Harry Potter series came out this week, and of course I went to see it. When the last scene cut away and the credits began to role with the oh so familiar Harry music playing in the background the only thing I wanted to do was sit down and write. I've found I get jazzed when I watch or read others' artwork. There is just something about creativity that stirs more creativity.

Now I have heard to be careful not to let others' work affect your writing too much. I guess they fear copying ideas and story lines. And for that reason I understand the concern and caution in reading a book while writing your own. Originality is a book's soul. But on a more important note I have to say I disagree. If it weren't for the visual stimulation of seeing a new world created on the big screen or being completely frustrated with a character in a book so much you can't sleep I'm not sure how much depth my writing would hold. These new creations and accounts of things both real and created allow my mind to explore beyond the day-to-day. They are stimulants and inspirations to better and more interesting writing.

So thank you J.K., C.S., J.R.R. and all other writers with initials or not. Your work extends to even more audiences by way of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment