Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A writer's work is never done.

Yes I know it's been a while, long while, since my last post. I'm still new to this blog thing, and I've been out of the country so I'm granting myself pardon for being late. I can do that- it's my blog :)

Anyway, this past Saturday I "completed" a rewrite of my first book. I've been working to revise it since the spring and finally proofed the last page (pg.333). I was of course thrilled to have this part done, yet again, and ready to share it with a few select individuals. So I printed it off promptly, inserted the many pages carefully in some binder rings and began to pass it off to my eager readers.

But low and behold...my mind was not done thinking about it. I know a shocker! Well this morning as I'm in the shower (the best place to think) I had an epiphany. The idea in and of itself is only a small detail for the book, but my heart was racing and my fingers were antsy to type. I'll admit I rushed to work and the first thing I did was write the idea into my story line. Again it was only a simple event about an incoming fax, not very thrilling by itself, but to me it carried meaning the story would be richer for containing. No detail can be too small when writing a book. Sometimes the smallest of details can carry the largest of meanings and unlock a treasure trunk of information if you're paying attention.

So, once again I have a "completed" version of The Keeper's Tale. I anticipate more moments like today - that exhilarating and frantic feeling to sit down immediately and write one more thing into the story. Wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment